Pages

April 25, 2009

Contentment

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me... Philippians 4:11-13

Oh, how I long to learn to be content through the seasons of my life...

While listening to a sermon this morning, Josh Patterson said this...
"Contentment is not contingent upon circumstance but it's rooted in your confidence in Christ. Contentment is not rooted in circumstance, it's contingent upon your confidence in Christ. The more confidence you have that Christ is sufficient... that He is who he says he is and does what He says He does... Then circumstances become irrelevant. Your hope, your focus, your peace and your contentment are satisfied in Him and Him alone."

I love how Paul states that the contentment he has, has been learned. He's been brought low, he's endured seasons of abundance, he's faced plenty, been hungry, been in need... and through it all, he's developed a contentment that allows him to be satisfied in the Lord with whatever external situations He's in. Sometimes I wonder how long it will be until I learn to be content... how many seasons ups and downs will I go through before I can say with a pure and genuine heart, I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I don't know, but one thing I do know is that it is only by the grace of God and His strengthening power that I will learn this. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world."
1 Timothy 6:6-7


No comments:

Post a Comment