Several months ago, God began to do a work in my heart that has been transforming my life ever since. I opened a book that exposed my eyes to pieces of God's heart that I hadn't been vulnerable to thus far in my life. This book goes through each of the 'beatitudes'... it's compelling!! (Compelled by Love--Heidi Baker)
Matthew 5:3-10... "The Beatitudes"
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called Sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
Excerpt from the introduction: "Through this book, allow God to open your eyes. Believe for your miracle. Learn to live in the intimate love of God. Believe that God can take you who are well fed and well clothed and make you hungry, thirsty, desperate, and completely dependent on your Father's love so that your eyes will see those around you who are in need of fresh bread from heaven. If you are that someone in the desert who will die without a drink of water, God can pour out His Spirit so that your heart is compelled by love."
Verse 3 of Matthew 5 continues to tug on my heart now months after God opened my eyes to it's meaning--Blessed are the poor in spirit. What does it mean to be poor in spirit? I think Jesus meant that being poor in spirit is positioning of the heart before God--a heart that is fully given, yielded, desperate, and dependent on God. It's not a financial poverty, although you can see correlations. Being wealthy financially (simply living in America makes you more wealthy than most of the world!) transfers over spiritually. I've always wondered, how can those African believers have such rock solid faith, hope and love? Duh! They know what it is to be in need! They know what it means to be desperate. God is showing me how to position myself before Him with a poor, poor spirit. There is no framework for the word poverty in my life-- Yes, I obviously know (Mind) what the word means, but I don't really know (Heart) what it means!!
God opened up the door for me to go to Haiti during the time I was going through the beatitudes. My prayer ever since has been this: God, teach me how to be poor in spirit! Allow my heart to enter into the tremendous poverty in Haiti and let that poverty transfer to my heart. God, take it deep into my spirit!! You say blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Kendra, I found your blog when going to your Facebook to check up on the Haiti team! I love reading the sort of stuff you write... keep it at. Anxious to hear about Haiti!
ReplyDelete