Pages

July 19, 2010

Rainbow Cake!


So, my eye has been set on this cake all summer!! My senses have been attentive to an opportunity to give this cake a try! Well, it finally came!
But, of course, I had to make some changes. When I look at this cake, yes it looks beautiful, but not exactly practical. Who wants a plate with 12 layers of cake & only a tiny bit of frosting? You're just asking for a dry mouth and a glass of milk!
So, I cut the cake in half and put a thin layer of frosting in between each layer. 
I highly recommend this!

Rainbow Cake
2 boxes of white cake mix
Purple--1/2 cup diced purple grapes (+ a drop or 2 of purple food coloring)
Blue-- 1/2 cup blueberries (puree most of them)
Green-- 1/2 cup diced kiwi (+ a drop or 2 of green food coloring)
Yellow-- zest of 1 lemon & a squeeze of lemon juice
Orange-- zest of 1 orange and a squeeze of orange juice
Red-- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries

**Mix together the 2 box mixes and split them into 6 bowls. Mix the fruit into each bowl and bake separately (I used a 9in. circle pan) for about 20 minutes.
**I used a buttercream frosting instead. It was 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup milk, 2 T. vanilla, 6ish cups of powd. sugar.

Would I make this cake again? 
It's debatable. It looks great, tastes great, but takes FOREVER!!
My answer...  yes.  But only if someone requests it!

2 comments:

  1. haha wow.. you have way to much time on your hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm!!! can i have this NOW please?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete