Pages

April 25, 2010

Overflow

When's the last time your cup overflowed?


This has been one of the most powerful images rolling around in my head in the past couple months--a cup overflowing. It's also been one of the most encouraging things to experience God do in my life.

Freely you have received, freely give. 
Matthew 10:8

Over the past couple months, God's been opening up my eyes to the beauty of this illustration! As a cup is filled up with water, there comes a point where one of 2 things must happen. 1--The water stops being poured or 2--the water continues to come and naturally overflows out of the cup. So it is with our God! He longs to pour into us, continuously! Paul prayed for us in Ephesians 3 that we would know the love of God and be filled with all the fullness of God! Wow! God longs to fill us up...

So we're that cup. God's the water. When I'm being filled up with the love & peace and all the fullness of God, one of 2 things will naturally happen. 1--I recognize that my cup is all filled, I'm satisfied and content with what I've received and stop for more water. 2--I continue to ask for more and then overflow! 

I saw this being played out tangibly while in Haiti and since i've been back. There were several girls who had such a special place in my heart. I loved them, prayed for them and begged God to do a HUGE work in them. Over the trip and a couple months previous to the trip, God began a really good & powerful work in my heart that opened myself up to receive more of the Love of God as my Father. I saw so much freedom, grace, peace, and love released into my life and relationship with the Lord. So while in Haiti, I started to see some of the same things God did in me happening in the girls I was praying for and leading. God opened my eyes to see that as I asked for more and more and more, my cup began to overflow and in result, God touched the people close to me. DANG! Now that's what gets me fired up and encouraged to never stop asking for MORE!

I heard this a couples months ago & it continues to bless me-- How can you give away what you don't have? The idea is-- How can you lead someone through a sin struggle you're still in? How can you introduce someone to the Love of God when you haven't yet fully encountered that love? It's not yours yet! I want to freely receive all that God wants to give to me and then freely give it away!

God, it's my prayer that you to continue to fill me up! May I, by your grace, overflow! I also ask that You would expand my cup, that I might behold even more of You!

Awesome Song--> Lowest Place, Laura Hackett

1 comment:

  1. wonderful, wonderful song. and a great question. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete