Pages

February 9, 2011

Aaaaand I'm back. Definitely didn't mean to miss 2 days... so is life!
Here are some ways thoughts, questions, and encouragement I've received from the Word recently.

Monday: 1 Peter 4

Verse 3-5... "For there has already been enough time spent in doing the will of the pagans: carrying on in unrestrained behavior, evil desires, drunkenness, orgies, carousing, and lawless idolatry. In regard to this, they are surprised that you don't plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation—and they slander you. They will give an account to the One who stands ready to judge the living and the dead."

Thankful for the reminder and encouragement to be different from the world... To walk on the path of purity.  Holiness. I think back to the beginning of my freshman year in college... I felt so different from everyone around me. I didn't know very many Christians and wasn't very mature in my faith, but knew that I had to be different... I couldn't mold and conform to the people around me--I made that mistake already & it led me down a dark & lonely path. College students--be encouraged. Don't be surprised when you meet opposition about your Godly lifestyle. Stand in the confidence of Christ!

Verse 10-11... "Based on the gift they have received, everyone should use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. If anyone speaks, his speech should be like the oracles of God; if anyone serves, his service should be from the strength God provides, so that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen."

What a beautiful picture of the Body of Christ... each one of us, uniquely gifted to strengthen and build up the 'whole', the Body of Christ! How have you been gifted?! How can you use the gifts you've been given to build up the people around you!? This ties in soooo well with the text we studied at Cornerstone this past week-- Philippians 2:3-4... "Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." How often am I really concerned with esteeming other people. Honoring them. Lifting them up. This isn't a matter of pushing yourself down & thinking less of yourself.. it's a matter of raising other people up. Dang... convicting!!

Tuesday: 1 Peter 5

Verse 8-9... "Be sober! Be on the alert! Your adversary the Devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour. Resist him, firm in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are being experienced by your brothers in the world."

Encouraged to humble myself. Sometimes I become so confident (confidence I find in myself)... I forget that the enemy is SOOOOOOO much more powerful than I am (my flesh, apart from Christ). So where do I find this confidence to stand firm? In Christ! It's the work of Holy Spirit in me that makes me more than a conqueror (Rom. 8:37)!! As we abide in Him, he remains in us (John 15:5)... apart from Him, I can do NOTHING! Encouraged to draw near & depend fully on the grace of God in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment